Thursday, January 31, 2008

Progressing Along

I finally feel as though things are starting to push off... Now the next step is to get going. Right now I'm feeling very inspired and can sense that this is the best time to start sketching, and get all of my ideas on paper. I've very excited that I may have found a studio mentor, Jane Marsching, who actually is in the area. After talking with her I know more ideas will start to flow. I also think its perfect that she is familiar with my MFA program, which I feel will be a great benefit for me.

Everyone knows I'm working on something, because I started to ask alot of my family and friends about the topic of my piece. Its a normal practice that I do when I'm getting ready to work on a project. I've started to ask everyone around me what they think about the affects of colorism or their personal experiences. My mom has even started to forward links that would be helpful, thats when you know you have a support system. I don't know how many families are that supportive of artists in their families, but I'm blessed. I've gotten such great response from everyone, and I didn't realize how the subject of colorism would hit home for some many people around me. Originally it seemed like it would be impactful but I'm starting to realize how important it is. Having everyone's participation is very wholesome for me because it helps me to stay grounded, and I feel alot more confident and connected to what I'm doing. There are many layers that I feel I'm uncovering and there is so much that I can say. Now I'm just choosing my words wisely.

No comments: