Thursday, January 21, 2010

The new and improved: I'm a Master of Fine Arts!


Last week was my 5th MFA Residency at the Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University, and I have to say I went through a range of emotions. Pure fear, which is so unlike me,  to complete awe. An explanation of that can be obtained by describing the major events that occurred during the 10 day residency.

On the very first day I was scheduled to give an artist talk, which was loosely based on my MFA Thesis, and explained the work that I was making and the artists who influenced this. I rehearsed my talk over and over like a speech and I was so nervous! Though everyone said they couldn't tell. I could lol. But, I did feel very confident in what I was doing as an artist, and though originally I was nervous about potential questions after I finished my talk it turned out that I was ready. It helped that all of the people who asked questions were very thought provoking and pertaining to my work. For example: Have you considered including the references to Egyptian and Ethopian art in your work? Do you see the influence of popular culture having an influence on advertising geared towards African-Americans? and my favorite Do I see the isolation of African-American artists playing a part in my work?  All very good questions about issues that I feel very passionate about. As my classmates stated during our Final Graduate seminar, I got "fired up." I agree.


Then, a couple of days later I was defending my thesis and work, again another scary moment but it was a success. I passed, Thank God! The readers did give me some suggestions to think about in terms of the work that I presented. 

You may be familiar with some of this work,  the brown paper bag installation Essence/February 2009, and I showed this piece along with my magazine pieces. Similiar to how I did in the Intersexions show at Stonehill College. This time, however,  I also included an excerpt of my documentary, The Skin Quilt Project, on view as well. Overall, I received great response from my display and I was really happy with the results. Big Thanks to my husband Solomon for his amazing installation services. He did an amazing job!

I think what I enjoyed most, was the opportunity to critique with other students in the program as a graduating student. I just felt that I had so much more to share than I realized. I came away from each critique feeling that I had provide them with some great advice on how to move forward, specifically in terms of making work that you can defend.

Then lastly it was the exhibition reception to look forward to and I was estatic that my mother coming in town because it's always fun when she's here so that was a great plus. Like many of my classmates we felt that the moment felt somewhat anti-climatic but I think my greatest moment was the Grad Toast. It was a great time and it really helped to celebrate the achievement of getting my MFA. I have to say that I'm so glad this season has come to a close, but honestly it was fun while it lasted!



1 comment:

Matilda Egere-Cooper said...

WOOOOOO! Go girl!!! Proud of ya hun x