Saturday, August 23, 2008

New stuff


My life is quite busy right now. I have many things on my plate but they are all very good things.
I'm excited about a number of different
 opportunities that have opened up that have the  potential to make a positive impact on my career. But aside from that I'm still making work as usual, but you'll notice in this post a number of 
different types of work. It's not because I'm going crazy it's just that I'm taking in so much information that there is no "one" way for me to process it all. I felt very confident by a suggestion Stuart Steck made to me about just "trying" things out. Especially because I'm talking about issues within and upon the African American community, all of the research can be very overwhelming. Who would have thought
 that something that your really interested in would overwhelm you so much? I didn't. But oh well...I figure that the more that I absorb all of this reading and researching the more that I'll get through this seemingly "lack" of information problem. It's not that I don't appreciate research, it's just that I don't think people realize how emotionally draining it can be. Particularly in my case, because I'm researching various issues of "blackness" that's really painful to dig into. Yet, at the same time I'm enjoying every minute of it. It's a very complex relationship. Nevertheless, here are my processed thoughts that may or may not make sense to you but still please give feedback.

1 comment:

anne baumgartner said...

I love the variety of responses coming from you - this is deep thinking and processing and you are really giving yourself to it. I am loving watching it all tumble out. The freedom of approach will most definitely add to your work. Keep it up Lauren! This semester has a whole different feel than the last - it is by far the most difficult kind of work I've ever done in my studio...because I have no idea where everything is going. Trust is a keyword.
Best to you, Anne B.