Saturday, June 21, 2008

Delayed but not Denied









Images: Top, AIB residency space. Second,   Being Black1,93 mixed media illustrations
on index cards, 2008. Third, What is a yellowbone?installation, artificial bone,clay, and glue on painter's linen.2008





So I know that these images are long overdue, but I attribute it too my perfectionism with images and the way they are displayed. Anywho, here are images from the colorism piece that I've been working on. They are images taken while here at the AIB residency, but I figure it's better late than never. Some of my group mates complained about the lack of images on my blog so here ya go! I'll be sure to overwhelm everyone next time with images. 

So far I've received one crit at the residency and to my surprise it was mentioned that the work is too "literal." An opposite to what I received last residency, but I was told it was attributed to the religious notions in my previous works. I'm not sure how I perceive that entirely, but I do think it's interesting. I've always wanted to use text in my work, however I knew I would receive a lot of flack for not using any photography like I did last residency. I definitely would like to combine the too, but I think it was definitely necessary to go to this extreme so that I can strip away.Because as my studio mentor told me, I had enough content but just needed to express the content. I'm glad that Oscar Palacio is going to be my faculty advisor this semester.He deals with issues of race in his work, and I know he enjoys this type of work. The tricky part will be to find a studio mentor that will be able to work with me this semester. There have been plenty of suggestions, but we will have to see.Well enjoy and until next time...

No comments: