Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New Projects!

So now that I've completed the MFA program, it's time to crank out some new work. And what better way to do that but in a creative space that encourages experimentation and exploration? Today marks the beginning of my residency as Visiting Artist at Holliston High School(Holliston,MA).

My proposed project is one based on diversity, so no direct work about colorism this time. Yah!
I'm quite excited about it because I think there is great potential to develop a whole new body of work that's independent from my graduate school experience.

I'm also excited to be working on a slightly different topic than colorism, I feel like I'm a little colorism-ed out! I think because in addition to my studio practice that engaged this subject for the MFA program, my documentary, The Skin Quilt Project is also surrounding the subject, though the relief is that the quilters make the storyline A lot more interesting.

Yet, I'm excited to note that the film is complete and is beginning it's theatrical distribution with community screenings and loads of other fun opportunities. And I hope that more develops from there. So besides continuing to promote the film until the exclusive DVD release, I'm excited at the opportunity to think at some new topics and ways of working.

So I have a lot ahead of me, and I'm going to be photographing a lot more for this project, I feel that will be somewhat like a research study on diversity. A subject I'm really interested in learning more about, and how different needs of diversity changes depending on location and community.

Tomorrow I will actually begin the work, whereas today I've been mapping out the planning with the Art department at Holliston. It's going to be a fun journey, and there even be a small reception once all the work is complete. I look forward to sharing pics of the process.

No comments: